Champions of the Flyway!

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Filey, 31 from '13 - #17


As a birder / naturalist first and foremost with a bonus sideline in (very) amateur photography, I'm far from being a hot-shot with the camera, and hence any good shots I manage to get are a simple combination of opportunism and half-decent gear: I'm lucky enough to be out in the field a great deal, and lucky also to be armed with quality camera equipment.


However, the law of averages dictates that sometimes it all comes together anyway, which was the case an hour or two ago as I walked along the bay and out onto the Brigg. A Kestrel hunted the slopes above me, came ever closer into ever improving light, hung, stooped and generally performed impeccably in the strong south-westerly wind; it was harder not to get good shots, and was yet another wonderful experience out on the patch.


I don't have fancy high-end gear, I don't have a mammoth lens, I never use a tripod, I don't chase down birds or other wildlife in the pursuit of the money shot, and I don't understand 99% of the camera's controls anyway; which are likely some of the reasons why I enjoy it all so much.